Monday, November 29, 2010

WHO WHY WHAT WHERE HOW

WHO
I am a 21 year old journalism student who loves dogs, old movies, good experiences, liquor and a beautiful home. I love to cook, entertain, be lazy, be fun, celebrate and cause a mess. In my free time and professionally I write and do photography using Nikon equipment but also regular digital and film cameras. I collect cameras and can spend hours reading and collecting books in my library (well a mountain stack of books, at any point).
My queer fiancee who is a social butterfly, loves to entertain as well and is ardent about anything modern and technological. The newest and biggest flat-screen televisions? She's there. Stainless steel microwaves? You bet she's happy. I would be fine without a tv in the house but to even suggest such a thing is like committing murder for this one. We will be co-habitating in a one bedroom apartment flat in midtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada and will have to agree on our varying tastes of how to decorate our abode. 
WHY
This blog is just a journal of some sorts of my jumbled ideas and aspirations for this flat. The colors I want to paint it, decor ideas, DIY projects, upholstering of furniture, second shop finds, inspiration from the World Wide Web and information about what I'm trying to accomplish which is a beautiful, unique home that is interesting, cozy and eclectic but contemporary enough not to embarrass my sweetheart and her pals. 
WHAT
This blog will be a compilation of why I chose the furniture\decor\styles I chose and what it means to me, photo images and videos that inspire me, references to interior design books, information about our apartment (square footage, etc) and  once we begin actually decorating silly photos of me and my sweetheart putting together this dream. 
WHERE
I plan to get everything for our home from IKEA, Bowring, Crate&Barrel, second hand and vintage shops around town, Craigslist, Home Sense, Pottery Barn, Benjamin Moore and wherever I can find what I need. I might go to a factory or farm and pick up a piece of wood and fashion a table (seriously) or go to a park and find a bunch of identical twigs to create some kind of artsy decor. I'm a creatif. I want everything I find to be unique and original and inspirational to others while also being functional and aesthetic. If I can do that, I'm a genius. 
HOW
This is an important question as I'm on a student's budget. With savvy negotiation, frugal second-hand junk store finds and a lot of luck and planning (like calling months ahead to find out when the IKEA Midnight Madness sale is that has 50% off the entire store)....I think I will be able to do it. I don't want a drab, boring couch-and-TV apartment. I want something to sparkle and something to enjoy since we'll be here for a while! You know what it's like paying off your hefty student loans......!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment